Friday 16 December 2011

Blueberries

Earlier in the week we made the 45 minute trip to Waitui to Brackenridge Blueberry Farm. I'd been years ago, but the other half hadn't so we thought we'd make the drive before the big move. On arrival you're given a bucket each and pointed in the direction of the blueberry paddock and you can pick as many or as few as you like.


Between the both of us we collected 4 litres of berries at only $5/litre of chemical free berries I think that's a pretty good deal.



And they have been put to good use- 

2 blueberry crumble slices


Jam, using just over a kg of fruit. The big jar was full, but it quickly disappeared when the fresh bread came out of the oven. This was my first ever attempt at making jam, it set and is edible so I'll take that as a success.



 
Blueberry bushes have now been added to the list of plants that I hope to one day have growing on a place of my own.

4 comments:

  1. I have such fond memories of picking fruit as a child and would love to find out whether there are any orchards/berry farms local to us.
    Am totally envious at your bucket of blueberries and all that you have made with them :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how delicious. :o)
    We have three blueberry bushes and when you one day own your own, you will be so happy that you do. :o)
    Have a lovely weekend. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to do this with the kiddies! The jam looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! The jam and the bread looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments, so a big thank you from me to you. x