Friday 9 September 2011

Harvesting and a spot of Baking

Today, during a break in the rain, we headed into the vegie patch for a spot of much needed weeding. The garden beds look a bit on the bare side, but are still yielding despite. The pea plants are covered, and eating peas straight from the pod while perched in amougst the plants is the best and most delicious way to it.
I also picked the first lot of rhubarb after planting a couple of crowns last year; and the ever reliable rocket, spinach, silverbeet, spring onions and garlic chives made their way into the kitchen too.



Today saw more baking, with Apple Pie using this recipe.


Now, as promised yesterday, the Apricot Loaf recipe. I based the recipe off this one for date loaf, making a few modifications and it turned out well.


Apricot Loaf

300g dried apricots, chopped
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 cup boiling water
125g butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs
1/2 cup natural yogurt
1 3/4 cups SR flour

Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease two loaf tins.
Place chopped apricots, boiling water and bicarb soda together in a small bowl. Stand for 20 minutes.
Beat butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and creamy with an electric mixer. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
Stir in yogurt.
Fold in apricot mixture and flour.
Divide between two tins and bake for 35-45 minutes.
Great served the next day, but of course if you cant resist, then get into it straight away.

Now enjoy your weekend. I hope to do a spot of thrifting, baking (involving said rhubarb) and a fair part of just relaxing.

5 comments:

  1. Your weekend plans sound just like mine! I have to bake for Charcutepalooza and I've been itching to make some vintage buys.

    I'm bookmarking the apricot loaf. It sounds yummy and I really want to try it. I'm so envious of your garden! We had a rotten growing season here. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, and thank you for your nice comment.

    That pie of yours looks pretty special! Clever cook, you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum. i am yet to play with rhubarb...i could go a slice of pie right now! that apricot loaf looks a treat, thank you for sharing and thank you for my birthday wishes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to try the apricot loaf!! Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to make this on the weekend. Can't wait - yum yum

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments, so a big thank you from me to you. x