Thursday 30 July 2015

the winter garden


our new home brought with it a new garden. a lovely level block with a good few established fruit tress and plenty of shrubs and succulents (and the simply stunning Sturt Desert Peas sprouting under the Hills Hoist)
one of the first things on our 'to do' list was to get a few plants in the ground so they could get growing and producing.
we've popped 5 olives along the front fence and a grape vine to trellis along the front verandah for much needed summer shade and dappled sunshine in the cooler months.
vegie seeds are planted in a concrete sink topped with an old window.
we've fertilised, pruned and mulched the oranges, lemon, cumquot and fig.
next on the list is to build a chook shed.

what's happening in your garden?

7 comments:

  1. Yay Zara........a chook house....can't wait to see you with chooks again !!!!!!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have been very busy. How lovely will the grapevine be when it is established?! Here in Auckland, Nz the garden is just waking up. I can see lots of weeding and planting happening in the next few weeks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Zara, a grapevine is such a great idea! Looking forward to seeing your chook pen! I am playing with my glass fridge/glasshouse and seedlings. Oh & mending irrigation dripper line that my enthusiastic young gardeners managed to cut yesterday... not once but twice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for you Zara, it sound amazing? Where are you? It's great that some of your garden is already established, you can just make a few personal touches now. I'm still waiting for my chook coop, two years on! I'm going to have to hound hubby as soon as the weather warms up. Thought of you just recently when I was at the Salvos in Orange,I found a great tablecloth you would love, I'll post about it soon, maybe! :) Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that concrete sink idea! And 100 x yes for the grapevine, they are magic things for summer x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Zara, I have often thought of you in my blogging absence. I have avoided blogs for some time (probably guilt!), but it's been nice to stop in and see what you've been up to. I love your new house. It's been looked after much better than our new one:) You have the exact same door handles as us too. I hope we can keep in touch. Tania xo

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments, so a big thank you from me to you. x